Spanish omelette, frittata, egg pie, whatever you call it, I don’t really know the difference. But I like them (eggs)! I make frittata when I am in a hurry and I know I have lots of eggs in the house. Also, when I have things leftover, perhaps in the fridge, that need eating up. This can be vegetarian or you can add meat. Eggs are cool. Eggs are robust, they can take lots of other flavours and textures. They are versatile little chameleons that you can turn into all sorts of delicious things. Anyway, this is quick and easy AND the kids will eat it too. AND you can take it to work for lunch the next day. Win Win Win!
You will need:
6 x medium (organic free-range if you can) eggs
5 x slices of good quality smoked streaky bacon
8 x baby new Charlotte potatoes
1 x cup frozen peas and or sweetcorn
1 x small handful fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 x handful spring onions, chopped
1 x cup grated parmesan
Salt and pepper
a pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
1) In a heavy bottomed sauce-pan put the potatoes on to boil. When cooked through (about 20 mins), drain and set aside to cool. When cool slice. about the width of a pound coin.
2) In a mixing bowl or large jug, beat the eggs, season well with salt and pepper and add the spring onions, parsley and chilli (if using).
3) Meanwhile, in a deep, non-stick frying pan, fry the chopped bacon till starting to brown in a little olive oil. when the bacon is brown add the potatoes a cook until they start to colour too. about 5-10 mins. Thrown in the peas.
4) Turn the heat down and pour the egg mixture over the potatoes, bacon and pea mixture.
5) Sprinkle over the cheese and allow to cook slowly. Gradually the underside will cook. You will see the edges brown and start to harden. They will begin to separate from the side of the pan. Keep the heat down so it doesn’t burn and cook for 8-10 mins.
6) You can’t turn this over as it will run so, once you think the bottom is well set you should place the pan under a hot grill until set and starting to brown.
7) remove the pan from the grill when cooked. You should be able to slip the omelette from the pan gently onto a serving plate. Slice and serve with Salad.